Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Five Easy Ways To Stay Fit While Traveling In Your RV

Since Bob and I travel so much, we needed to find good ways to stay in shape. We have a gym membership that we use while we are home, but while we are traveling keeping in shape becomes more of a challenge. Here are five simple ways to maintain your fitness while Rving.
  1. Yoga - Yoga is one of the most beneficial things that you can do for your body and mind and is a tremendous way to start the day. I have been doing yoga for about 30 years now, and it is an essential part of my daily routine. I highly recommend the Rodney Yi morning yoga routine on the "AM and PM Yoga" DVD because it is very gentle on your body and easy for beginners. The best thing about doing yoga while camping is that you can do it outdoors, and enjoy some of the most spectacular scenery imaginable.
  2.   Floor exercises - I do about 100 stomach crunches followed by some core stability and abdominal exercises such as the plank and side plank. Click here to see some good abdominal exercises.   
  3. Weight Work - Weight work is essential to maintain bone strength and prevent osteoporosis as you age. We carry 2, 5, and 10 pound weights and a stretch band. Included in my workout are curls, hammer curls, front and side deltoid raises, upright rows and triceps extensions. Free weights are great because of the variety of exercises they allow you to do. I use a stretch band around a chair to do seated rows. I try to do my weight work routine about three to four times a week. About.com has great exercise pages that can help you with your weight workouts.   
  4. Walking - Since we are in such beautiful locations, I try to take full advantage of the wonderful hiking trails that are available to us while we are camping. I try to get at least two miles a day in, sometimes much more. I walk my dog every morning for about a mile, and repeat this at night. Any additional walking is a bonus.
  5. Biking - We try to get in a good bike ride around three times a week. I especially like to burn off part of my dinner by taking a bike ride about an hour after we eat.
The most important thing that you can do is to maintain consistency. It can be difficult to stick to a routine, since while you are traveling you always feel as if you are on vacation and it is easy to take a day off. However, you have to push yourself if you want to stay healthy and continue to enjoy the traveling life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment